Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Traditions

Every year on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I have a tradition in my classroom.  We spend the morning reading and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate.  We don't just read our regular books, I break out my "special" collection.  These are pop up books and "ology" books. (The link will take you to the cool interactive ologyworld website.  Since we spent so much time talking about Chiropterology the class already understands what ology means when added to the end of a word!)

Anyway, we make Turkey Hats, and talk about traditions in our families.  We don't have school on Wednesday this year, and we are going to OMSI tomorrow so today is my traditions day!  It is also a special day because my sister, Ms. Stephanie is here!  She comes every Thanksgiving week.  This year is particularly special because she spent the summer teaching Creative Dance with The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet Company's Dance School.  She is leading 4 different classes with all the 1-2 students today.  It is very exciting.

Here is our day in photos:

 We just read this one aloud Friday.  Such a silly story.  Everyone was so frustrated by this boy's choices.
 The Way of The Ninja
 Marcell the Shell with Shoes On: Things About Me

  Pirateology
 600 Black Spots
 Egyptology
 Wizardology
 The Chronicles of Harris Burdick an Autographed copy!  I couldn't help but purchase it at Powells yesterday.  I love Chris Van Allsburg.  I just added his author page to the author section of the blog.  So much fun.
 Deep inside the story... look at that concentration....
 ...and excitement!


Of course, Ms. Stephanie got some reading in too.

Then it was time for my tradition, Turkey Hats.  We talked about what everyone does every year.  Then wrote traditions on the backs of hats. 











 Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  I hope your traditions bring you as much joy as Turkey Hats did for Room 9.


No comments:

Post a Comment